Monday, August 4, 2014

Summer Weddings

Is it just me or has this been the summer for weddings? I went to a few, and I know a ton more that have happened. It makes me just love love.

 For a really long time the idea of marriage made me cringe. I've seen so many fail, but I'd never met anyone our age that I really had faith in. That is until my sophomore year of college. Its probably because we are getting older and more mature. My favorite love story is probably my freshmen year RA and her now husband. They are absolutely amazing together, best friends who really do help each other in ways I can't even explain. They met in acting class and knew the instant they were paired together. You can see it in both. She adores him like the moon, and he worships the ground she walks on. They don't let the other go overboard either. Its beautiful, and she was always my friend but as the wedding got closer so did my relationship with him. I count both as friends now and I am so excited that they are finding jobs and living together now, starting their journey of married life. 

One of my biggest problems was trying to find something appropriate to wear, and a wedding present that I can still afford as a broke college kid. Summer weddings are so fun as they allow a bit more of a relaxed feel and you have more options. 

For clothes the most important thing to know is venue, don't wear overly dark clothes if you are going to be out in the sun for the wedding. Also if you know where it will take place you can also gauge what to wear. For instance you may not be religious, but if its a church wedding, having wider straps or even covering your shoulders is respectful, especially to some of the older family members who are coming. Here are some of my favorite picks: 


I went for two ends of the spectrum on price but they both give a wonderful example. 
The light blue can be dressed up with a cute hair do and some jewelry or left beautifully bare. Right now it's a steal for only $23.99!
The dark blue is also very light for a summer wedding, but the lace gives the appearance of sleeves maybe a bit more modest or elegant. This is very like my dress that I wore to a wedding this summer, however mine is several years old and I can't remember where I got if from, this is from J.Crew and is priced at $275.00 but would work well for many occasions. 

As for wedding gifts, I tend to go to places like Hobby Lobby or Michael which tend to have cute cheap crafts, or even pre-made if you're in a crunch! Also something for their new home is always welcome, you can find some great things in department stores. Here are two ideas that I used this year. 


The pillow is from Hobby Lobby, and towels are from Kohl's. I found some other his and hers for less at Kohl's but they weren't pictured together. I hope that this helps with summer weddings! I know of several more to come for August!
Did you have any great wedding outfit/gift ideas this summer?



No comments:

Post a Comment