Monday, July 22, 2013

Shakespeare Weekend

Had a lovely time this weekend! Ended up going down to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, which is absolutely brilliant. I've been going since I was little and comparing them to some Broadway's I've seen they really hold up to snuff. I was able to see King John (wonderful, and very interesting I wish it was done more), the Tempest (great designs and a new take on the original), Anything Goes (sooo funny and cute), and Love Labors Lost (adorable). They hold literary seminars, costume/actor/set seminars, and a Guild lunch with the Actors. All of this is wrapped up in the adorable little town, well maybe not so little, of Cedar City. It is home to Southern Utah University and a great second hand bookstore. Also we went to the Garden House for lunch and had some amazing food.

Overall I'd say it was a great trip I loved the entire thing, the food in concessions is great with its 'Ye Olde' feel to it. Before the evening performances they have a free Greenshow outside the recreated Globe theater, its great to bring younger kids too but has plenty of adult humor as well. All the actors are amazing and most of them are in at least two if not three of the plays going on. The Elizabethan language isn't difficult at all because the actors really know how to sell it.

The star show this year is Peter and the Starcatcher which the USF has the first regional production rights, in other words this is the first showing off of Broadway. They were even visited by the original producers and creators. I think all of the shows are great though and would recommend seeing any of them. Starting last year, the festival is dedicated to going through all of Shakespeare's 38 plays through out the next ten years. They started this summer going through the histories in order. They also have the 2014 plays announced. I hope I get to go back soon!

ticketsonsale
Here is a picture from their site, hopefully it links to the site otherwise here is their website!!
www.bard.org

That picture is property of the Utah Shakespeare Festival and not mine, I am using it so help with my review.


Yours,
WyoBelle

No comments:

Post a Comment