Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Jobs and Interviews

Today I had my first interview, it was a phone interview which made it a little better and also worse. Better because I didn't have to dress up and they weren't able to see me nervously pace and worse because there was a very quiet woman in the back and every time she talked the phone would cut out, every single time. I was so nervous because this was my first interview and now I know that I really need to do my homework.

Coming from a small town in Wyoming, I never really had to interview and the only time I did was with someone I've known since I was small, runs the high school church group, and is my nephew's Godfather. Not exactly nerve wracking. When I was applying for the Air Force Academy I did have to go through interviews, but I was prepared for almost every question and after three interviews I felt like a pro. Interviews are scary but they don't have to be.

 I'd pinned several things on Pinterest about interviews and what to do, but I really didn't take them seriously and I didn't read them well enough. They tell you to rehearse some things and be ready with certain questions, for example I got asked what my weakness was, a terrifying thing to share with a group of people who you are potentially going to work with, but find some way to show that you have been trying to fix your weakness and that you know how to fix that. Also I seriously recommend having certain questions ready for when they ask you at the end if there is anything you want to as, it shows that you are more serious about working there.

This was a total fluke, I had originally applied because I wanted some working experience and a little cash while I'm at school. I looked through several of the student listed jobs that had been posted and saw varying level of commitment, skill, and time in different jobs. I applied for two I thought would be easy enough to work on while at school and then hoped I'd get some kind of notice within the next two weeks. I got a phone call four days later, but this was for a similar job in a different area. I leaped at the chance. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to see if it was worth it.

Jobs aren't for everyone and some people need two to pay their way through college. Every situation is different and I encourage someone to see how much time they really can dedicate to what they are looking at. One must be logical and look at how that will hold up against school. It may be to difficult for some, while others like me need more than just one thing going on to really get the best results out of themselves.

My best tips are do your homework, know what the job requires, how you will be required to work (alone, group setting), and basic interview questions. They normally always end with a goofy question, try to be creative I wasn't ready at all for mine and had an odd answer. Again have a few really good questions for the interviewers.

All my best wishes towards nailing that interview, hope this helped.


-WyoBelle

No comments:

Post a Comment