Monday, August 19, 2013

Packing Up

Today marks the day of getting ready for going back to school. Tomorrow I begin to pack my clothes and other possessions.  In less than a week it will be time for move in and soon after starting school. Thursday is the official move in for on campus dorms here at University of Wyoming and I can't wait.

The big question is what to take to school? Remembering last year I realize that I overreacted. I in all the infinite wisdom of a new graduate decided that my room would be as empty as possible so that my parents could use the room as whatever they wanted. I took almost everything I owned, including almost all of my clothing. What I didn't take I put up in my closet or up in or attic. My room was absolutely bizarre looking after I was done.

The plus side to taking so much was the fact that I had everything I needed, and everything most of my friends and hallmates needed as well. Everyone would come to me if they needed to borrow something or eat food, as I was always well stocked up. This earned me the title of floor mom which had its ups and downs. The best part was that I knew almost all the girls on my floor, and we all became really friendly. It also meant that everyone would stop by, no matter when sometimes early in the morning, or late at night, or when I was busy writing a paper. It didn't bother me too much in the beginning but after months of this it took its toll.

One of my really close friends didn't bring much, about three weeks worth of clothes, four pair of shoes, her laptop and notebooks. Oh and food, that girl loved her food. Did she have what she needed? Yes. Did she borrow from me? Yes, but very very rarely. We seemed like polar opposites but for each of our own needs it worked for us.

 It was nice having so much with me and knowing that I would always have whatever I needed. The truth was that I didn't need everything I owned and as the year went, and when I went to visit family I'd take home certain things I wasn't using. Going back this year I have twice the closet space I did before, but I'm going to be taking a lot less. I only live four hours from home and if I realize I'm really going to need it in the near future I can always go home.

Even after the great realization it will be hard for me to leave things and I will probably overpack, but I'm working on it.

Are you getting ready for school? If so what's your strategy? A lot? A little? I'd love to know!!

-WyoBelle

P.S. Best tip for moving clothes on hangers is to leave them on the hangers through a black plastic bag over them make a hole in the top for the hanger loop and cinch the bottom... saved me so much time packing and made it so much easier!





No comments:

Post a Comment